- Understand the basics of U.S. Copyright Law as it pertains to the creation and selling of creative works and how to register your creative works with the U.S. Copyright office
- Understand how the Digital Millennium Consumer Act helps you protect your creative works shared online
- Understand the preliminary steps of dealing with copyright infringement
- Identify potential legal issues when conducting business as a freelance artist
- Understand the anatomy of legally binding contracts
- Negotiate contracts as a freelance artist
- Understand the importance of a work-for-hire agreement and why they are essential to the freelance artist
- Negotiate work-for-hire agreements
- Understand and negotiate licensing agreements, artist-gallery agreements, and fine art commission agreements
- Identify when you are ready to set up a formal business entity and understand the tax and liability implications
- Understand the basics of an LLC, S Corp, and Corporation and how to choose the proper business entity
- Understand the Illinois laws relevant for art entrepreneurs and the City of Chicago licensing requirements and when a business license will be required
The series is funded in part by grants from The Coleman Foundation, the Emily Hall Tremaine Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation, the Joan Mitchell Foundation, and the Illinois Arts Council Agency, as well as a CityArtsGrant from the City of Chicago's Department of Cultural Affairs & Special Events.
Survival Guide is produced by Chicago Artists Coalition for Chicago Artists Resource.