We are a non-profit community artist studio located in Logan Square. Currently, we manage three studio locations on the northwest side of Chicago, and serve over thirty artists in small to medium sized shared studio spaces. The artists work in a variety of media, including ceramics, painting, sculpture and new media. The individual studio spaces are quite small, generally about 65-100 sqft each, but the artists working in the space recognize the importance of community and benefit from being a part of a group of working artists. We occasionally have open studio events, host artist talks and experimental installations in our small storefront window at 1856 N. Richmond location. We actively participate in community events like festivals and art walks. Leases are month-to-month, but artists MUST give 30 days notice before leaving the studios and ending their lease.
Monthly rent ranges from $100-280/mo. depending on size, and includes all utilities and wifi. There is a backyard at 1856 N. Richmond with a garden that we like to hang out in and grill in the warmer months. Our 3551 W. Diversey location has a full woodshop, which all artists in our studio networks have access to after passing an authorization session with our shop manager. All artists have access to their studios 24/7. Please contact us to inquire about availability. There is currently a waitlist for studios.
- Be comfortable hosting occasional events in the space (0-2 times a month) like open studios, artist talks, Autotelic organized hang-outs, etc.
- Be willing to share responsibilities maintaining community areas
- Be an active creative maker
- Be open to occasionally preparing their individual space (straightening up, displaying work) for open studio events
- Be a generally responsible, even-tempered, easy-going person
- Be comfortable with lack of privacy in a community space
- Be supportive and respectful of the other artists and their work
- Give 30 days notice before leaving the studios, giving adequate time for the leasers to find a replacement. Finding a replacement for yourself would be ideal, as we would prefer to welcome referrals than people we don't know.
**Performers, individual musicians, and writers are welcome. This is work-only space.
To apply, email MAKE@autotelicstudios with a brief bio/statement about your practice. Why would you be a good fit for Autotelic? Please include a link to your website and a few .jpgs of current work. Interviews will be scheduled on an individual basis.