Job Title: Violin/viola Instructor
Location: Back-of-the-Yards Program
Start date: November 2017
Reports to: Program Director
The People's Music School is a 40-year old institution that has brought the transformative benefits of music to over 10,000 lives across Chicago. Our model is completely tuition-free. We serve kids age 5-18 who otherwise would not be able to afford music education. Since music education has benefits that extend far beyond the artistic benefits, we view ourselves as an institution building future leaders. We build cognitive, academic, and social-emotional skills through an intense and rigorous curriculum. Our students learn with us for up to 12 hours per week and their families fulfill a significant volunteer time requirement. In the last 18 months, the school has grown 2x under new leadership composed of alumni from Bain & Company and A Better Chicago, and world-class experience from a newly energized Board of Directors. And we're just getting started...
The People’s Music School is seeking an experienced violin/viola instructor for our Back-of-the-Yards (4619 S Wolcott) program. The instructor will be responsible for teaching private lessons, small group lessons, and/or coaching chamber ensembles.
· Deliver high-quality instruction to students in Grades 2 - 8
· Provide assessment of students’ musical and behavioral progress
· Act as a mentor to each student and create positive rapport with students
· Collaborate with parents, administrative staff, and other faculty
· Timely correspondence with Program Director, school staff, and parents
· Active participation in faculty meetings, adjudication of juries, and student performances