Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks an experienced manager with well-developed communication and technical skills to lead our sound department. The Sound Supervisor is a key member of the production leadership team, managing an ambitious program averaging 12 productions per season in a 500-seat thrust space, 200-seat black box, and a revolutionary new flexible performance space seating up to 850, as well as several touring productions. They will partner with professional designers and directors from Chicago and around the world managing both produced and presented work, and will need to thrive in a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment.
Position will begin in Fall of 2018.
- Serving as the primary liaison with sound designers with the goal of collaboratively realizing their designs.
- Managing the infrastructure of the sound department including the inventory, organization, maintenance, storage, and deployment of all department assets.
- Hiring, training, and managing both staff and overhire sound labor.
- Maintaining and creatively working within the established budgets for each production.
- Coordinating sound department needs with those of other production department heads and working as a collaborative partner to other departments’ designers and technicians.
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of industry trends and best practices, and applying this knowledge to capital expenditures, obsolescence management, and investment strategy.
- Working both independently, and with designers to specify speaker placement for optimal system performance, especially in our large flexible space.
- Designing and building wireless racks as needed for CST productions.
- Managing Clear-Com infrastructure for all departments.
- Designing and occasionally installing QLab systems for rehearsals and performance.
- Recording musicians and actors as needed to create source material for our productions.
- Trouble-shooting and prioritizing notes during, before, and following tech rehearsals.
- Helping to prepare rental packages and other paperwork for load ins.