- Sustain a safe, secure and friendly environment for all Opera House patrons
- Prevent entry into Lyric Opera House facilities by unauthorized persons.
- Monitor Lyric Opera House security technology systems
- Insure all access points to the facility are secure at all times.
- Prevent the loss of or damage to any Lyric Opera House assets
- Conduct periodic foot patrols throughout the facilities, reporting all security issues & safety hazards.
- Issue Lyric Opera House access control photo identification, activate and deactivate identification cards as instructed by management
- Provide a deterrent to possible disruptive and/or unlawful behavior, responding to incidents as required
- Assist patrons in emergency situations, including patron accidents, house evacuations, or related incidents that may occur, including monitoring of assigned house exits and maintaining an awareness of crowd management issues, in order to alert supervisory or security personnel to problems.
- Search bags or other belongings brought into Opera House for contraband
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Previous security officer experience preferred
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Illinois PERC card (Permanent Employee Registration Card) and an Illinois security guard license
- As a condition of employment, employee must successfully complete a background investigation and a post-offer/pre-employment drug/alcohol test.
- As a condition of continued employment, employee must maintain current active status of all required licensing documents at all times, and must carry the PERC card and license at all times while on duty.
- Must display exceptional customer service and communication skills.
- Intermediate computer skills to utilize innovative technology
- Effective customer-service orientation, professional appearance, and “team player” abilities are essential.
- Stand or walk constantly (for up to an entire shift) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet)
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 40 pounds
- Run as needed
- Constant use of both hands and arms in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering while using phone, notepad, writing reports, and other administrative tasks
- Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to normal level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination
- Read, understand and clearly speak English; constantly use speech and hearing (correctable to normal level required) in communicating with public/co-workers, giving and receiving instructions, using phones
- Work in various environments including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain or heat;
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
- Must possess effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills with ability to deal with all levels of personnel and the general public in a professional and effective manner; must be able to use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines
- Must be able to frequently prepare written reports and logs in neat, legible handwriting
- Must be able to read and understand all operating procedures and instructions
- Must be able to handle pressure of working with high volume general public
Status: Part time, seasonal, non-exempt
Reports to: Director of Facility Operations