This position is for aspiring artists interested in mentorship; in getting their foot in the door; in furthering their education actively in the professional fine arts culture.
This position is only for those serious about pursuing a long term career in the arts. It is intended to be a learning opportunity for recent graduates or soon to be graduates with a desire to learn how to operate successfully and independently in the professional world. You must understand that the work style of an artist is essentially parallel to that of an entrepreneur. Your passion for your own craft is as critical as your willingness to learn. If this describes you, you already have the qualities most crucial to development and success.
As a learning experience, it is ideal that you are indeed a practicing artist. In a sense, this position is simultaneously a part time and full time gig. While I'll only ask for 10-30 hours of commitment a week, you are both welcome and encouraged to consider further engagement when needed and when time allows. During work hours outside of those I request, I would also encourage you to be vigilant in your own practice; be it the application of the concepts you learn towards your own artistic pursuit, or work that supplements your cost of living.
The professional artist, being an entrepreneur, will face myriad obstacles in which resolution is dependent on a flexible and open mind. Depending on your focus, you should already be familiar with some of the following skills. That which you are not experienced in, you will be expected to learn through application and supervision.
- Critical theory (In both the studio and the administrative portion of self-employment)
- Studio processes and techniques (Canvas preparation, utility of various tools & mediums)
- Marketing & Outreach (Social media maintenance, newsletter preparation, collaboration with the press)
- Networking (project proposals, presentations and public speaking)
- Crowdsourcing (project development, funding strategies, marketing strategies)
- Exhibition (project development, application of the above skills, show installation)
- Supplementary Digital skills (digital filming & editing, digital image editing, additional Adobe Suite techniques, general software exposure; such as to Aeon Timeline, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, etc.)
- Sales (Closing sales, packaging & shipping out of state sales, web store maintenance)
- Research & archiving (efficiency principles, organizational techniques, inventory maintenance)
- Creative problem solving (theory and application)
- Drafting (preparation of written necessities such as contracts, press releases, proposals, etc.)
- Collaboration (commission negotiation, proposals, maintaining rapport)
- Presentation (documenting work, writing artists' statements, sealing completed work)
Our joint endeavors will primarily focus on visual art, with a secondary but critical emphasis on film, and its relativity to business and marketing. The social night life intrinsic to the artistic lifestyle will be a tertiary focus. There is constantly an overlap between work and play in this industry, and it should be enjoyed and appreciated as much as it is observed with professional control.
Regarding long term goals, there will be an initiative to evolve my sole proprietorship into a non-profit with the goal of fostering growth in the artistic community.
Neither the artist nor the entrepreneur walk a linear path. Your income is entirely dependent on your efforts and success. You cannot shy away from failure, and you must be confident that you will recover and prevail in face of obstacle and adversity.
Income will follow a stipend/freelance format. We will negotiate contracts on a project-to-project basis. What you should expect is that you are paid only if I am paid. Essentially, you are guaranteed a portion of earnings and capital, dependent on both your level of involvement in and the yield of net profits per project.
Yes, we all need currency to survive. As they say, money makes the world turn. Your mentality should be such that your earnings are earned in earnest. This is an opportunity to learn first hand what may take you years to learn independently, if you even get that far! Artists make up a small percentage of the population. Successful artists take up an even more diminutive portion. Again, you need to trust not only in my coaching, supervision and mentorship, but your own capacity to succeed.
There will be instances in which travel is required. In such cases, I will provide for travel expenses such as plane tickets, car rentals and lodging. Duration will be negotiable, depending on our schedules and how much time we’d like to allocate towards recreation. After all, the entirety of this experience should be as fulfilling for you as it is for me. If we earn ourselves extra time for R&R or fun, then why not capitalize? :)
Currently, out of state plans are definitive for Miami Beach, Wichita and Iowa, with New York, Colorado, Milwaukee, and California as pending destinations.