TITLE: Major Gifts Officer, Education and Community Engagement Programs
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Individual Giving and Donor Affiliated Groups
Manage the identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects and donors including restricted, annual, special project funding, tour sponsorship, and endowment support for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association (CSOA), with a focus on funding and activities related to programs of the Negaunee Music Institute, including the Civic Orchestra of Chicago. The Major Gifts Officer, Education and Community Engagement Programs will work closely with a team of frontline fundraisers, including the Vice President for Development, to design and implement solicitation plans for major gift prospects as well as set and achieve goals for the achievement of the organization’s contributed revenue goals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify, evaluate, cultivate, and solicit major gift donors for restricted, annual, special project funding, tour sponsorship and endowment gifts, with a focus on Negaunee Music Institute programs, to the CSOA. Manage the achievement, with Development colleagues, of annual revenue goals for the Institute and other areas of responsibility. This role will also be heavily involved in planning and fundraising for the $35M campaign in support of the Negaunee Music Institute’s five-year plan ($20M operational support and $10M endowment), which is a key component of the CSOA’s new five-year strategic plan.
- Manage the recognition and stewardship of these Civic donors, including seating at Civic concerts/rehearsals and communication between donors and musicians. Coordinate, with input from the Civic Orchestra staff, the Civic Scholarship donor recognition program, including matching of donors with Civic musicians. Manage, with support of Donor Engagement team and others on the Development team, stewardship plans for Institute donors. Coordinate, with input from the Civic Orchestra staff, the Civic Scholarship donor recognition program, including matching of donors with Civic musicians.
- Serve as Development department liaison to the Vice President for Orchestra and Building Operations, the Director, Education and the Negaunee Music Institute, and the Negaunee Music Institute team. Attend and serve as primary Development contact for Institute meetings including the Institute’s finance, nominating and governance, and executive committees.
- Work with (solicit, stewardship, etc.) 100+ major donors ($10,000+) and 25+ prospects/upgrade candidates to realize their full philanthropic potential to the CSOA and the Institute, maximizing multi-year commitments whenever possible.
- Develop and execute cultivation plans for major gift prospects. This includes creating opportunities to meet with administrative, artistic, and orchestral leadership as well as musicians and visiting artists.
- Prepare solicitation proposals.
- Work with Development colleagues and volunteers to identify and qualify new major gift prospects.
- Help establish fundraising goals for the Institute in collaboration with the Major Gifts team to ensure close coordination of annual and major giving efforts.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date tracking of all major gift prospects and donors and appropriate documentation of all gifts. Maintain annual giving and campaign contributions tracking and projection reports for Institute programs.
- Obtain and share Institute event calendar and program information with Development colleagues as potential donor cultivation and stewardship activities. Regularly attend Institute performances and events; share program experiences with Development colleagues.
- Support the Vice President for Development and the Director of Individual Giving and Affiliated Donor Groups with the preparation of materials and reports needed for Institute Board and Institute committee meetings, including Executive Committee, Finance, and Nominating and Governance.
- Manage special projects as assigned.
- Attend and assist with development-related events and concerts throughout the year.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to the Director of Individual Giving and Affiliated Donor Groups.
- Other contacts include: Donors, donor prospects, Trustees, volunteers, subscribers, staff, and Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Civic Orchestra of Chicago members.
- Interacts regularly with the Vice President for Orchestra and Building Operations, Director, Education and the Negaunee Music Institute at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association, and the Negaunee Music Institute team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of increasingly responsible development (or related) experience. Experience in a performing arts organization preferred.
- A love and appreciation of classical music
- Proven track record in relationship management.
- The ability to work autonomously while keeping direct supervisor apprised of issues, problems, opportunities, and progress.
- Ability to work collaboratively with Development colleagues to create a results-driven, team oriented environment.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Computer literacy, including word-processing, database, and spreadsheet proficiency.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Project management skills.
Pleasant office environment.