John Michael Kohler Arts Center
Job Title: Lead Preparator
Department: Exhibitions & Collections
Summary: Working with the Senior Curator and the Exhibitions department, the Lead Preparator will lead and implement all steps related to the planning, design, and implementation of exhibitions. Leading a small team of prep staff, the Lead Preparator is responsiblefor the installation of exhibitions, the packing and crating related to exhibitions and collections, and for transportation of works of art. This includes but is not limited to construction, cleaning, crating, painting, and planning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. In collaboration with the Exhibitions department, the Lead Preparator is responsible for the planning and enacting of the following responsibilities:
- Long- and short-term planning for exhibitions. This includes but is not limited to arranging for additional prep staff, budget planning, collaborating with the Senior Curator on exhibition design and scheduling de-installation and installation of exhibitions.
- Preparing for all aspects of exhibitions at the Arts Center, as well as touring venues. This includes but is not limited to wall construction, wall painting and repairing, pedestal and/or mount construction.
- Transporting works of art, related materials, and equipment for exhibitions and collections, internally and externally.
- Managing the care, packing, and shipping of all works of art and related materials loaned to or owned by the Arts Center.
- Responsible for coordination of, and installation for eight to ten exhibitions per year, including several site-specific installations.
- Conduct training of staff members and security guards in the security of all exhibitions.
- Research and coordination of major repairs and replacements in the galleries.
- Ability to work directly with artists to install their works of art.
- Supervises a team of permanent and temporary preparators.
- Maintain the organization of the workshop; maintain inventory controls and tracking and oversee general maintenance of equipment.
- Work collaboratively both within the Exhibitions department and with other departments in the Arts Center on special projects, as needed.
- Maintains and instills a high level of standards related to exhibition preparation.
- Work closely with the registrars to oversee the safety and movement of all artwork entering and leaving the facility.