Carrie Secrist Gallery in Chicago seeks an experienced art handler to work with the gallery team. Qualified candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Kelly Long (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Job Description and Qualifications:
Safely handle art using best practices for:
- Installation of objects ranging from paintings and sculptures of all sizes, to mixed media works of all descriptions, primarily in a gallery setting,
- Installation of objects in settings ranging from corporate to private residential properties, with the ability to select the proper hardware and exercise aesthetic judgment as needed.
- Packing/unpacking/crating: using proper materials and those appropriate to the medium/surface/condition and fragility of the items.
- Pick-ups and deliveries: understand how to properly load/unload a truck and keep artwork secure and stable during transport; ensure artwork is stored safely in the gallery or in off-site storage facilities.
- Safely and responsibly drive trucks carrying property of high value.
- Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
- Interact positively and communicate diplomatically with colleagues, artists, collectors, and other art professionals.
- Assist in maintaining the orderliness, cleanliness, and security of the gallery and equipment.
- Maintain and acquire materials and supplies, within budget, for packing and shipping artwork as needed
- Audio Visual equipment knowledge and set-up
- Available for long-run/range pick-ups and deliveries of art objects
- Occasional front-desk duties
- Available to travel to out-of-state Art Fairs and events with artwork for installation/de-installation
- Conduct condition reporting for inbound and outbound artworks as needed.
- Other projects as assigned