Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
Lyric Opera of Chicago’s marketing team currently includes one full-time, in-house graphic designer. We are seeking an additional graphic designer for a one-year contract to assist with brand development and collateral materials, including, but not limited to, advertisements (a strong focus on digital ads, plus print, promotions, outdoor, etc.), brochures, signage, direct marketing materials, and web, email and social media graphics. While primarily serving as a member of the marketing team, this role supports graphic design needs across the institution.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work in collaboration with marketing and other department liaisons to develop design for campaigns, direct mail pieces, web/email/social media graphics, interior/exterior signage, etc., at a high volume (often exceeding 30 pieces per week).
- Design and develop animated digital advertisements in multiple formats and sizes to support a broad online advertising campaign.
- Create graphics and design layouts for emails, the Lyric website, blog, and social media accounts
- Ensure that final products are of high quality, adhere to Lyric’s brand, are completed on schedule, and sent to printer/ad rep in a timely manner.
- Work in collaboration with creative project associate to manage workflow, stay abreast of industry best practices, and implement cost-effective production strategies.
- In collaboration with department leadership, select production photography for marketing use, and edit images as necessary.
- Provide design or brand identity guidance intra- and inter-departmentally.
- Provide occasional oversight/mentorship to graphic design intern(s).
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Graphic Design or equivalent.
- At least two years of graphic design experience.
- Must have portfolio and be able to document effectiveness of past designs.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Must have experience creating HTML5 animated ads in Adobe Animate OR with an HTML5 ad creator (e.g. Google Web Designer, Bannersnack, Flexitive)
- Experience designing graphics and layouts for emails a plus
- Basic understanding of HTML, CSS a plus
- Interest in the performing arts/opera helpful.
- Impeccable attention to detail, layout and organization.
- Must have a keen eye for design and photography, and strive to develop aesthetically pleasing end results.
- Ability to receive and process criticism on creative work.
- An understanding of the latest design trends and their role within a commercial environment.
- Strong communication, time management, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited resources while still being creative and effective.
- Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to prioritize work, use good judgment, demonstrate a strong sense of urgency, and carry projects through to completion in a timely manner.
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Copywriting experience a plus.
- Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments or performances.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
REPORTSTO: Senior Director, Marketing and Audience Development
STATUS: One year, full-time contract position