The Gala is Chicago Shakespeare’s largest fundraising event, with over a million dollars raised annually. To be held in May/June 2019, the formal evening features a cocktail reception, dinner, and artistic program.
This hands-on position is an excellent opportunity to learn about what it takes to put on a large scale, high-profile fundraising event. The Gala Intern will learn valuable skills in event coordination, time management, multi-tasking, marketing/communications, and not-for-profit fundraising. Joining the Chicago Shakespeare team also affords an inside look into the workings of a major cultural institution.
While Chicago Shakespeare insists on a minimum time commitment of 10 weeks between January and June 2019, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Gala attendance is mandatory (date forthcoming). In addition to a small weekly stipend, interns receive one-on-one mentoring from Advancement Department staff, their own CST email account and complimentary tickets to all Chicago Shakespeare performances during the internship.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years undergraduate education with successful completion of coursework disciplines related to: arts administration, business management and administration, sales, communications, English.
- Competency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Graphic design skills a plus.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills.
- Strong conceptual skills for use in developing/maintaining database applications.
- Must be able to work effectively as a key support member.
- Must be precise and attentive to details.
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing