Position Description: Executive Director
About Us: The Hyde Park School of Dance (HPSD) is a 501(c)3 non-profit providing opportunities for students of all ages to study, perform, and create classical and contemporary dance at the highest levels of discipline and artistry. We welcome dancers of any race, religion, body type, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and family income.
Located in central Hyde Park, HPSD operates four studios near the University of Chicago campus on the south side of Chicago and enrolls 500 students of all ages. Programs operate year-round, including more than 100 hours of weekly instruction, frequent public performances, and a community outreach program. HPSD’s current operating budget is just under $1 million with approximately 86% of revenue derived from instructional tuition and performance income and 10% from fundraising sources. Learn more about our school and program at www.hydeparkdance.org.
Position Summary: The Executive Director provides leadership to ensure that HPSD is fulfilling its mission and goals. The position reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the Artistic Director who is responsible for the creation and oversight of HPSD’s instructional curriculum and performance programming. The Executive Director provides direction for and management oversight of all administration of the school, including budgeting, financial planning and reporting, human resources, board relations, fundraising, communications and marketing, planning and coordination of performances and events, facilities management, and volunteer management. The Executive Director directly supervises an administrative staff consisting of full time, part time and contracted employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Board to fulfill the organization’s mission
- Serve as Ex Officio member of all standing Board Committees
- In communication with the Board Executive Committee, provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
- Assist with the recruitment and development of Board members
- Provide support to the Board for ad hoc committees and special fundraising initiative
Financial Performance and Viability
- Responsible for fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintains the organization in a positive financial position
- Management oversight of the fiscal integrity of HPSD, including submission to the Board of an annual budget developed in collaboration with the Artistic Director and Board Committee, as well as reporting, analysis, and forecasts as needed
- Identify and develop in collaboration with the Artistic Director and the Board, resources sufficient to ensure the financial well-being of the organization including fundraising from foundations, corporations, individuals, members
- Oversight of the annual financial audit
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee the design, development and production of all printed materials
- Communicate with and assist parents through staffing of office, email correspondence, and telephone
- Oversee all marketing activities, including creation and execution of yearly marketing plan
Organizational Mission, Strategy, and Evaluation
- In collaboration with Artistic Director and the Board, ensure that the mission of HPSD is fulfilled through all programs and activities of the school
- With the Board and Artistic Director, develop and implement strategic planning to ensure HPSD can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsibility for the enhancement of HPSD’s image by being visible and collaborative in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations
- Manage all aspects of the scholarship program with Artistic Director and Board scholarship committee
- Hire and supervise professional staff and outside contractors in accordance with HPSD Human Resources guidelines and procedures
- When directed by the HPSD Board of Directors, conduct and lead office staff/contractor job searches and hiring decisions
- Oversee and implement suitable resources to ensure that operations of the organization are appropriate
- Oversee all agreements and negotiation on behalf of HPSD including faculty and accompanist contracts, leases for studio space, and performance venues
- Manage human resources issues and policy creation as needed, in collaboration with Artistic Director and Board committee, including for faculty, staff, or student matters
- Manage and attend all HPSD special events, school-wide initiatives, and performances
- Oversee the development and implementation of volunteer programming and recognition opportunities
- Other duties as may be assigned by Board of Directors