Requisition Number: JR00350
Grade and Classification: C-9 / Library Assistant III
Division / Dept.: Collections & Access / Electronic Resources Management
Reports to: Electronic Resources Manager
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
This position is represented by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Under the supervision of the Electronic Resources Manager, and following established procedures, performs a broad range of complex and routine acquisitions and Electronic Resources Management (ERM) processes. Assistant is responsible for access and maintenance of databases, e-books, and e-journals; troubleshooting and problem resolution; and statistics, data gathering, and analysis for renewals, annual reports, and special projects. In consultation with the Head of Data Management Services, may perform tasks related to data loading and management within library systems, including loading sets of records for electronic resources and acquisitions and creating and maintaining documentation of procedures and statuses of record loads.
Database Maintenance and Record Enhancement (25%):
- Coordinate major clean-up projects with other students/staff.
- Update and change existing data in integrated library system (ILS), locally maintained ERM database, and linking software system (SFX) to reflect URL, coverage data, and other changes for online materials.
- Test proxy server access and update definitions as appropriate, communicate and verify changes with IT Services.
- Perform critical data management operations required by the department such as high-priority or time-dependent data loads and ad hoc batch corrections to bibliographic metadata.
- Review new URLs imported into library systems to determine their appropriateness for the catalog.
- Record information regarding record load procedures, availability, and status on departmental website.
- Record loads statistics and related information for statistics as required.
- Assist in cross-training and act as resource for staff in other units.
- Update links and notes related to electronic resources access.
- Run complex queries within Microsoft Access comparing external metadata with existing library metadata within library systems.
Bibliographic Data Creation and Management (25%):
- Search online journal, database, and other product requests in ILS and ERM databases.
- Tag and import OCLC records.
- Create and update acquisitions records within ILS.
- Create additional data as appropriate within ERM database and SFX.
- Update records as appropriate for cancellations, including closing POs, notifying patrons of impending cancellations, and removing access from public library systems.
- Place orders by email or phone, claim outstanding orders, and process renewals.
- Manage electronic resource metadata, and acquisitions and bibliographic information for orders and invoices in batch.
- Share responsibility with the Data Management Assistant for processing order, receipt, and invoice information by retrieving and processing electronic information from vendors for new orders, approval plans, and firm order receipts.
E-Resources Troubleshooting (20%):
- Solve problems and communicate issues to entire department.
- Provide direct assistance to patrons and library staff with online product access problems.
- Review ERM licenses, acquisitions data, and vendor documents to determine causes of access issues.
- Contact wide variety of vendors and university technical support staff to resolve problems.
- Refer unusually complex problems to supervisor.
Information/Data Collection, Documentation, and Analysis (20%):
- Navigate through vendor interfaces to find, download, and compile statistics from a wide variety of sources.
- Coordinate analysis project activities across students/staff.
- Review data for potential errors and abnormalities.
- Identify and use appropriate spreadsheet functions and/or database queries to clean up data, calculate acquisitions costs, and merge data from multiple sources.
- Create and maintain documentation of procedures for major analysis projects.
- Maintain ERM department website.
- May hire, train, plan, and direct the work of student employees.
- Other duties as assigned.