The Casting Department facilitates the hiring of all actors (principals and understudies) for every show and event produced by Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Casting works with directors to audition actors, both new and familiar to the theater, seeking the actor who fulfills a director’s vision. The Casting Department strives to be as familiar as possible with the community of actors in Chicago as well as nationwide.
The Casting Intern will act as an integral member of the Casting Department, obtaining hands-on, real-world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere. In addition, Chicago Shakespeare Interns receive a small travel stipend and complimentary tickets to Chicago Shakespeare performances. Other benefits include the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring with Casting Department staff, opportunities to see shows at other Chicago theaters, participate in an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization, and receive a resume and portfolio review with Chicago Shakespeare Staff.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater insists on a minimum time commitment of 14 weeks between January and May 2019, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to recruiting and fostering a diverse community of artists, staff and students. People of color and individuals from traditionally under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Updating and maintaining actor files and database.
- Corresponding with actors and agents through the general casting office email.
- Attending plays at other Chicago theaters to familiarize yourself with actors and different company’s work.
- Organizing casting calls, including assisting in scheduling and preparing sides/paperwork.
- Sitting in on auditions (including union and non-union general auditions).
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.