Reportsto: Vice President and Director, Ryan Opera Center
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
The Patrick G. and Shirley W. Ryan Opera Center (ROC), Lyric’s professional development program, strives to identify and nurture the best emerging singers and pianists of the next generation–and to provide its Ensemble members with the highest possible level of experience in training & performance activities and professional enhancement offerings–all in an effort to set the stage so that Ensemble members are in the best position to create and take advantage of opportunities for leading successful operatic careers.
The Ryan Opera Center Associate supports the program’s operation in all areas and oversees all department administrative functions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide oversight of all ROC day-to-day operations, encompassing all aspects of scheduling, budget/financial administration, production and music needs for all programs and performances, and auditions.
- Make proposals to the ROC Director, ROC Music Director, and ROC Director of Vocal Studies concerning program artistic goals, curriculum, and scheduling of training and performance activities. Help to monitor their implementation.
- Work with all faculty, guest artists and conductors, production staff, and administration to formulate the ROC schedule. Act as main scheduling liaison to the Rehearsal and Facilities departments.
- Be responsible for implementation of all ROC performance and personnel contracts.
- Coordinate auditions for visiting artist managers and opera company administrators throughout the year.
- Create and oversee department budgets for fiscal year, long-range planning, and decision-making. Process all invoices for payment, and oversee ROC payroll.
- Assist the Development Department in ROC fundraising efforts, including coordinating ROC artists participation in events, and producing grant budgets and supporting documentation. Attend fundraising events as needed.
- Collaborate with Marketing Department on all ROC promotion.
- Collaborate with Technical Department on all production components of ROC activities.
- Work with colleagues at collaborating organizations on needed music, production, and promotional details.
- Oversee logistics, planning, marketing, and implementation of national auditions, and execute all audition arrangements.
- Coordinate all activities of ROC’s Board of Directors; oversee production of all Board minutes, agendas, reports, and other related correspondence; act as main communications liaison to the ROC Board.
- Regularly evaluate department operations and recommend updates for improvement, greater efficiency, etc. Organize and maintain all ROC files.
- Participate in ROC staff meetings.
- Provide general office support for the department (i.e.: mailings, correspondence, supplies) as well as to Ensemble members (i.e.: maintaining promotional materials).
- Oversee internship program.
- Provide administrative and scheduling support to ROC Director, ROC Music Director, and ROC Director of Vocal Studies.
- As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
- Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments, or performances
- Sitting / standing for extended periods of time
- Ability to operate a computer, keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment