JOB TITLE:Assistant Props Carpenter
REPORTS TO:Prop Shop Supervisor
The Goodman Theatre is searching for an Assistant Properties Carpenter to join our Properties Department. The Assistant Props Carpenter will work collaboratively with the Prop Shop Supervisor and other Prop Shop members to construct, load-in, maintain and load-out props for the 9 show season, including our annual production of A Christmas Carol, New Stages Festival, and special events at the Goodman Theatre. This position can require some evening and weekend hours on an as-needed basis.
This position is under the jurisdiction of the Goodman Theatre’s collective bargaining agreement with I.A.T.S.E. Local 2.
By dedicating itself to the three guiding principles – quality, diversity and community – the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make and essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
- 3 years professional theatre experience in prop carpentry and construction.
- Experience with woodworking, finish carpentry, and metalworking.
- Knowledge of theatrical procedures, hand prop and prop dressing construction, build materials and shop tools.
- Craft skills, familiarity with industrial sewing machines, and basic electrics knowledge is a plus.
- Ability to lift, push or maneuver 50-70lbs, either alone or with assistance from others, as well as the ability scale ladders to work in high places.
- Must have valid driver’s license. Ability to drive a 24’ box truck is ideal but is not required.
- Work collaboratively as a team member and maintain a positive attitude.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume including three (3) references to: https://www.ikrut.com/microsite/pages/Goodman%20Theatre/default.html
Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position. No calls please.