Urban Gateways is looking for artists/groups to join our diverse roster of Touring Performances for school and community audiences across the Chicago area for the 2018-19 season. We are looking for professional performers who are passionate about sharing their art with students, families, and general audiences and can also provide cohesive educational background information in an engaging way.
Urban Gateways is a non-profit arts partner, not an agency. The objective of this program area is to thoughtfully expose audiences to a wide variety of artistic disciplines and cultures through live performances. Roster artists receive professional development opportunities, administrative support, regular feedback, and various other perks.
Urban Gateways touring performances:
- Are 40-minutes in length;
- Showcase high quality performing arts, backed by a strong educational foundation;
- Are full arts experiences that include visual elements such as sets and/or costumes appropriate for the show;
- Are adaptable for various settings ranging from fully-equipped school auditoriums to bare-bones community venues;
- Artists must provide all necessary technical elements, though some sites may be able to provide select items. When required, musicians must provide their own amplification systems.
- Have been designed specifically with primarily youth audiences in mind;
- Approximately 80% of performances take place in school settings, 20% occur in community venues (libraries, parks, etc).
- For school performances, artists may determine their own grade range (ex. PreK-5, K-8, 9-12 etc), however, a broader range typically results in more inquiries/bookings. The majority of Urban Gateways school partners serve K-8th grades.
- Are arts-focused;
- We present dance, music, and theater, as well as multidisciplinary shows. All are encouraged to apply.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION about Urban Gateways’ Touring Performance Program:
Accepted artists are contracted for work beginning summer 2018 and are expected to be available at least two weekdays regularly;
There are no limits to the number of performers in a group, however, it is difficult to compensate large groups competitively, due to partners’ restricted budgets (ideal cast size is typically 2-5 performers);
Due to varying needs, the number of annual bookings cannot be guaranteed.
Applications including supplemental materials (video footage, show description, resume, references) are due by 5pm (CST) on Wednesday, March 21, 2018. Urban Gateways must receive your online application and all supplemental materials by this time for consideration.