Artists are invited to submit original artwork for the “Sculpture on the Prairie” exhibit to be held on the grounds of Fine Line Creative Arts Center, St. Charles, Illinois. Our beautiful 12-acre campus, located in the Fox River Valley, approximately one hour west of Chicago, is an ideal setting for sculptural works of art. The show is open to 3-D work in any sculpture or craft medium that is durable and can withstand the elements that occur on the prairie.
The show will be curated by the Fine Line Kavanagh Gallery Committee and will be advertised throughout the Chicagoland area. Fine Line will charge sales commissions of 30% for any artwork sold during the show. Fine Line will handle all sales and sales tax and will provide the artists with a check after the end of the show for all sales. “Sculpture on the Prairie “is open to all artists who reside and work in the United States.
· Artist must be at least 18 years of age
· Up to 3 pieces may be submitted per entry
· One entry per artist is allowed
· Images must be of actual work to be exhibited
· Work must not have been shown previously at Fine Line
· Work must not have previously been shown within 30 miles of the Fine Line campus
· All pieces must be for sale
· For each piece entered 3 images are required, each taken from a different angle. One image should be of the front, one should be of the back and the third image should be a side view.
Works must be able to be structurally secured to a 3’ x 3’ or 3’ x 4’ concrete pad with anchor bolts or similar devices. It must also be capable of withstanding extreme weather conditions such as heavy winds, heavy rains, and extreme heat and be maintenance free for the duration of the exhibit.
The weight limit for each piece is 300 pounds. The height limit is 10’. Heavy equipment, such as cranes, will not be available or allowed for use in artwork installation. Pieces must not have sharp edges or be in any other way dangerous to the public. Pieces will not be displayed if, upon inspection, the gallery committee finds the piece to be hazardous. The committee’s decision is final.
Honorarium & Fees:
Each artist selected for the exhibition will be paid an honorarium to cover transportation, installation, and deinstallation of the sculpture as well as any incidental expenses involved. The honorarium will be paid after delivery of the work. Any costs over the amount of the honorarium are the responsibility of the artist. Fine Line will pay an honorarium fee of $500 for each accepted sculpture.
A non-refundable entry fee of $35 will be charged for each entry.
Images for show promotion will be taken directly from images received from the artists which we deem representative of the actual work to be displayed.
All applicants are asked to submit an artist statement limited to 1000 characters. Artist statements will be displayed during the gallery show.
Awards include a $500 Best of Show award, a $100 People’s Choice Award, and 3 non- monetary Awards of Merit.
Jurors’ selections are based on creativity, quality of artistry and originality as represented in the images submitted. Notification of the jury’s decisions for the show will be sent on or before March 15, 2019. A contract, complete shipping information, and other forms will follow by email to those accepted into “Sculpture on the Prairie”.
Insurance is provided for the artwork from the time of the receipt of work until the end of the show. Insurance of items during shipping is the responsibility of the artist (to and from Fine Line).
Deadline/Important Dates Summary:
· 03/15/19 – All entries are due via café
· 03/20/19 – Artists are notified of the jury’s decision
· 05/13/19 – 05/16/19 – Delivery and installation of work
· 05/17/19 – Opening reception at Fine Line from 6 – 8 pm
· 05/18/19 – 10/26/19 – Show open to public (Monday – Saturday 10 am – 5 pm)
· 10/28-19 – 11/01/19 – Deinstallation
To apply follow the line below: