Red Bull Arts Detroit is committed to enriching the arts in Detroit, and nationwide. As such, it is necessary to support the network of curatorial practices which connect local community to the international art world. Our Curatorial Fellowship offers a flexible way to engage with the arts community in Detroit. The Curatorial Fellowship invites curators for ten monthly visits to research, conceptualize, develop, and execute a contemporary art exhibition in Detroit. The Fellow will receive financial, production, and marketing support in the execution of their curatorial project, and access to the 12,000 square foot gallery on-site for the project. Travel, accommodations, and a $10,000 stipend are provided.
Curatorial Fellowship Details
· Monthly transportation to and from Detroit between January and October of 2019
· Hotel accomodations
· $10,000 stipend
· Studio Visits with local artists and Red Bull Arts Detroit Artist Residents
· Personalized tours of Detroit’s cultural institutions
· Meetings with local arts professionals
· Continual research and production support
· Documentation and media outreach for final presentation of curated exhibition
Eligibility and Expectations
· Open to professional curators aged 21+
· Applicants must be US citizens or residents
· Applicants must be able to travel to Detroit regularly over the course of the Fellowshp (approximately once/month)
· Applicants must propose and execute a contemporary art exhibition or similar public project in Detroit
· The Red Bull Arts Detroit Curatorial Fellowship takes place once a year, for a ten-month period between January and October. Applications are open July 11th -August 24th, 2018.
· Applicants should regularly curate contemporary art exhibitions, drawing from the disciplines of visual art, sound art, or performance.
· Applicants must submit a CV, Statement of Purpose for the Curatorial Fellowship, and one-page project proposal (we will accept a proposal for a past project, an unrealized project, or a project designed specifically for Red Bull Arts Detroit).
· While the Fellowship Program is open to all professional curators from disparate backgrounds, successful applicants will demonstrate exceptional talent in their field, and a demonstrated dedication to the issues surrounding contemporary art.
· Curators are able to apply once per calendar year