The Artist Residency program has always been central to Red Bull Arts Detroit. We’re committed to providing artists the space, time, and resources necessary to push their practices forward. Three times a year, artists at different stages of their career are brought to Detroit for a three-month residency at Red Bull Arts Detroit. We provide housing, studio space, and a $12,000 stipend. Over the course of the residency, artists engage with the local arts community and create a body of work for exhibition.
Artist Residency Details
· On-site living accommodations at Red Bull Arts Detroit
· 24-7 access to 14,000 square-foot studio space
· Dedicated iMac workstation with Adobe Creative Suite
· Access to network of local fabricators and creatives, as well as in-house woodshop, CNC machine, and additional resources based on need
· Introductions to members of Detroit’s creative community, as well as visiting curators and writers
· Inclusion in group exhibition at end of Residency period
Eligibility and Expectations
· Open to individual artists aged 21+
· Applicants must be US citizens or residents
· Applicants must be based in Detroit for at minimum 85% of residency period
· Residents will make their work available for documentation over the course of the residency period, participate in agreed-upon media opportunities and studio visits with artists and arts professionals, and take part in the cumulative group exhibition at the end of the Residency
· The Red Bull Arts Detroit Artist Residency takes place three times a year: Early January – early April; Mid-April – early August; Mid-August – early November. Applications for 2019 Residency terms are open between July 11th -August 24th of 2018.
· Artists should be working actively in the fields of visual, sound, or performance art
· Applicants must submit a portfolio of images documenting their work (up to 5 images max), as well as a CV, an Artist Statement, and Statement of Purpose.
· While the Residency Program is open to artists in all stages in their career, successful applicants will demonstrate exceptional talent in their field, and a demonstrated dedication to the issues surrounding contemporary art. We encourage applicants from a wide range of demographics.
· Residents will be chosen by a Selection Committee comprised of leading artists, curators, and arts professionals
· Artists are able to apply once per calendar year