Awakened Voices Issue 8 Spring 2019
Awakened Voices seeks writers for our upcoming issue!
The mission of the Awakenings is to MAKE VISIBLE the artistic expression of survivors of sexual violence. Awakenings is home to a multi-media art gallery featuring the artistic expressions of rape and sexual abuse survivors. By showcasing stories of survival, we are helping survivors find peace while simultaneously challenging the cultural taboos that prevent an honest discussion of sexual violence. Please take a look at our website www.awakeningsart.org for more about us and what we are doing!
About Awakened Voices
Awakened Voices is the literary branch of Awakenings. Issues are published twice a year, The Nightingale publishes every other week, and serialization projects are released with new episodes every other month.
Guidelines for this submission call
We accept writing of all genres, but for this issue we are especially excited about encouraging submissions of: flash fiction, fiction, vignette, and graphic novel.
The theme for our Spring 2019 issue will be:
Those Who Help
Tell us what helping a survivor looks like. Show us in a story, in a character, in an homage, what does help look like? Can others give help? Can you receive help that is offered to you? What do you wish had been your story or the story of someone you love? Have you failed in trying to help someone? Has someone helped you learn about advocacy and being a good ally? Show us.
Submissions responding to the theme are encouraged, but not required.
- Writing must be on the topic of sexual violence.
- Writers who identify as survivors of sexual violence are strongly encouraged to submit work.
- We prioritize submissions from survivors, secondary survivors, counselors, and educators of sexual violence.
- You may submit writing that does not have to do with the current theme.
- We accept any type of writing.
- We accept profanity.
- We encourage a short author biography.
- We cannot pay our writers at this time, but we will be strong advocates for your work.
- We reserve the right to make edits for typos, clarity, and grammar corrections.
- If you have any requests regarding formatting or layout please include them in the comments field.
- We accept submissions of both unpublished and previously published works. Please note if the piece has already been published.
- We will do our best to read and respond to your piece in 4 - 8 weeks depending on staff workload.