Calling all creative people! Hewn, an artisan bakery in Evanston, Illinois, is hiring front counter staff/wholesale delivery packagers to join our growing team. We will have two openings at the start of 2018. This is the perfect part time job to supplement your creative professional goals. Our Front of House team consists of artists, musicians and actors who love working with people - and love working at Hewn!
We need a dependable person who is an early riser - and who is very organized. You will primarily be working as a front counter staff person/barista, serving customers, plating product and making espresso drinks. You will also have a few shifts that include packaging for our wholesale customers. Training will be provided. Food safety certification is preferred, but if you don't have it, we will have you take the course and test at our expense.
The person hired for this position is expected to:
1. Safely and accurately package breads and pastries to our wholesale customers.
2. Handle customer service in a friendly and professional manner
3. Help contribute to a professional, friendly, efficient work environment
4. Work early morning hours, including at least one weekend shift.
Hewn has been recognized in the New York Times, Chicago Magazine, the Chicago Tribune, Saveur magazine and many other local and national publications for our commitment to making naturally fermented artisan breads and pastries. We have a wonderful team of people who share our commitment to making the best possible products. We are a part of Evanston's burgeoning food and drink scene, and we appreciate being in a diverse community. We recently expanded our store, more than doubling our size. This is a great time to join a small but growing, independently owned business.
Skills & Qualifications:
1. Abilty to multitask and stay organized
2. Basic computer skills (must print out invoices and interpret production orders)
3. Outstanding customer service skills and strong communication skills both with colleagues and customers
4. Experience in retail or equivalent type of job
5. A positive and energetic attitude and a passion for artisan baked goods
6. Ability to work early morning hours (beginning at 4:45 am on some days) and at least one weekend day per week.
7. Ability to keep a calm, mature, professional demeanor
8. Excellent time management skills and ability to self-direct when necessary
All applicants must be able to lift 40 pounds.
All applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. Pay is competitive.