Awakened Voices is an online literary magazine published by the Awakenings Foundation. This is a safe space for any individual who wants to share thoughts or experiences regarding sexual violence.
Before submitting, please read our criteria and guidelines.
Please note that we publish bi-annually, and we'll do our best to respond in a timely fashion.
Writing must be on the topic of sexual violence.
Writers who identify as survivors of sexual violence are strongly encouraged to submit work.
Writers who do not identify as survivors of sexual violence may submit work; however, we do reserve the right to decline your submission if it does not comply with our mission as a literary magazine dedicated to healing from sexual violence.
- We prioritize submissions from survivors, secondary survivors, counselors, and educators of sexual violence.
- For this issue our theme is A Day In The Life of A Survivor - what is it like to go to the dentist, to choose clothes to wear, to travel to work? We want to hear from you.
- You may submit writing that does not have to do with the current theme.
- We accept any type of writing.
- We accept profanity.
- We encourage a short author biography.
- We cannot pay our writers at this time, but we will be strong advocates for your work.
- We reserve the right to make edits for typos, clarity, and grammar corrections.
- If you have any requests regarding formatting or layout please include them in the comments field.
- We accept submissions of both unpublished and previously published works.
- We will do our best to read and respond to your piece in 4 - 8 weeks depending on staff workload.
Questions about the submission process or guidelines? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org